6 Tips That Make Downsizing Easier
by DM7 Design
1. Assemble your Moving Tool Kit as soon as you have decided to move.
Felt-tip pens – have several and you may even want them in several different colors.
Color coded dots
Small notepad and pens – again, have several
Packing tape and dispenser
Standard & Phillips screw driver or one with interchangeable heads
Box cutter with safety catch
Retractable measuring tape
Useful phone numbers
2. Determine how much room you will have in your new space.
Measure the rooms.
To do this yourself, you will need:
A good tape measure.
A pen or pencil
An understanding of how to measure a room
A block of time and patience
An assistant to help hold one end of the tape measure.
3. Determine where and how your ‘Keep” items fit into your new space.
Measure the furniture.
Complete a furniture placement floor plan.
Review and possibly edit your “Keep” items to be sure everything has a place.
For family heirlooms or cherished items, write down the story that goes along with it and place inside or attach to the bottom.
4. Identify obstacles to mobility, accessibility and safety as appropriate.
Start at the street.
Are there obstacles to getting into or out of the home.
Be sure you have clutter free pathways throughout and that doorways are wide enough.
Lever style door & faucet handles, easy to grasp handles on cabinetry and drawers.
5. Identify storage needs and opportunities.
Look for places where storage can be added.
Multipurpose pieces increase functionality.
6. Take time to remember.