Downsizing? Here are some pointers to make the transition easier
by DM7 Design
Moving is always a difficult process, but when you are going from a large home – perhaps one you have lived in for a long time – to a much smaller space it can be especially difficult. Here are just a few tips to make the process a little less overwhelming.
- Take an inventory of what you have, what you want to keep and what you can get rid of or donate.
- Identify your most beloved possessions.
- Measure your large pieces of furniture to determine if they will fit in your new space.
- Draw up a floor plan of your new space and arrange your furniture virtually before moving it. Or have MD&A do that for you.
- Create a list of the items chosen, why you love them and why you need to keep it.
- Create a packing system and a tool kit of felt pens, tape, a small hammer – all the things you need to pack and identify your boxes.
- Use multi-functional furnishing and underutilized spaces in creative ways (such as under the stairs shelving, up to the ceiling).
- Custom built-in cabinetry can be great space savers.
- Get professional help. Organizations such as the National Association of Senior Move Managers and AARP are good places to get help on moving. And for your new home, Mertz Design & Associates would love to help give you a beautiful, safe and great space to live.